January 24, 2008 § 4 Comments
I’ve had a post about depression in teenage girls half-written for a few weeks, but those jollies will have to wait because Colleen has tagged me! I’m IT!
Six random fact about me:
1) I’ve ridden two elephants. I can’t remember the circumstances of the first time (something to do with the circus), but the second time, someone was holding an elephant exhibition in a strip mall parking lot in my hometown. They’re more bristly than you think.
2) I read the obituaries in several newspapers every day, and collect interesting names therein. Birth announcements, too.
3) I also collect marbles.
4) When I was born, exactly two weeks past the due date, I got stuck in the birth canal, and no amount of pushing could budge me. So my mother’s obstetrician— the famed Christiane Northrup herself— pulled me out with forceps, blacking my eye and breaking both my collarbones. I haven’t broken a bone since.
5) I notice misspellings, grammatical and punctuation errors everywhere; on advertisements, signs, newspapers and magazines, press releases— I just can’t escape them. Fortunately, I am able to mostly ignore errors in electronic media, and never read my own blog, so that explains away my own errata. To my shame, I have been known to correct errors on Richard’s blog. Sorry, honey.
6) I have a bad habit of romanticizing the unromantic— the latest, coolest craze (inside my head) is hoboes! Fed by recently reading Housekeeping, this article on hobo nickels, and folding neatly into my great affections for railways, Burl Ives, Snufkin, Carnavále, and my love-hate of the harmonica. Happily, I am under no illusion that I could ever make a go of it as a hobo— sure I might love riding the rails, seeing new people, watching the slow smoothing and wrinkling of the landscape, but strong, earthy smells torment me, and I’ve never been much for relieving myself outside. Once, at Girl Scout Camp, I didn’t pee for close to thirty-six hours, though there was a decent outhouse readily available (in which I had spotted a large blue-green beetle). They called my mom to take me home early.
Okay, so the rules for this meme are:
– Link to the person that tagged you
– Post the rules on your blog
– Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself
– Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs
– Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website
but instead of tagging six random people (rulebreaker!), I’m inviting anyone who’d like to play to leave their 6 in the comments. Anyone? Anyone?